06 November 2009

Good eats: There's always room for. . .

I don't think I've ever expressed my 'gotta-have-it' love for cake here in blogger land. It's real and it's deep. And it started at an early age. I still have very fond memories of a 'Strawberry Shortcake' themed cake made by my Aunt Peggy for my fifth birthday. And my mama's 'Coca-Cola' cake for my older brother's thirteenth. Both my grandma's had their own versions of chocolate frosting: Fannie's is the one I use to this day. Savannah's was fondly called 'chocolate skin' because you could peel the frosting right off layers of cake!
When I was in high school my mom and I took a cake decorating class at Hungate's arts and crafts in the mall. I was the youngest person there! We made it through beginner, intermediate and advanced (wedding cakes!) and soon had a lil' business going doing different cakes. Saying that I became burned out would be an understatement. But gobs of buttercream and late-nite hand cramps never stopped me from having cake cravings! Nowadays I make cakes when I want and how I want, always ready to try something new.
So to celebrate the opening of our new commission 'Bunker' I made 'War Cakes' using Ann Jackson's recipe from Heart of the Home. Tho eggless, butterless and milkless they were mighty tasty.
And to say good-bye to one of our curators I channeled Buckminster Fuller with a geodesic dome - this one brought back the hand cramps!
With the holidays comin' on full force I want to try, among other varieties, a candy bar cake and a red velvet cake from scratch. There's just one question - who wants to lick the bowl?

9 comments:

meena meena said...

yummm! ive been dealing this wierd sudden urge to eat sweets all of the time, and this post is a wonderful accompaniment to my wierd medly of dried fruit, sugar cereal and other misc. junk im chowing down on at the computer, way past dinner time.

were the "war cakes" any good? if so, would you send me a recipe for them? id like to give them a try!

calivintage said...

ah! such cute and creative cakes! i love it. this is really inspiring me to make a cake myself, i haven't made one in probably a whole year!

anne said...

they are all beautiful! i've yet to find a great basic cake recipe... any suggestions?
i too had a strawberry shortcake cake for my birthday! and i've always wanted to take a cake decorating class...one day. anyway, this was a fun post and i'll lick the bowls! haha :D

chess said...

There’s always a room for those yummy cakes, lol. I remember one time I baked my first cake and guess what the taste is not good, so sad for me :(

Jessica Lauren said...

Your blog is such a breath of fresh air, so delightful and joyous! A real source of inspiration, thank you for your many morsels of goodness.

If you have a moment or two, please amuse yourself with my new creation. I would greatly appreciate the brief moment of adoration and any suggestions.

http://acreationbornofpassionvisionandwit.blogspot.com/

Thank You.

jessica said...

Hi meena meena, sorry for the delayed reaction on this one. The war cakes were very moist and delicious, tho I only had a few bites (!). I would say they are perfect for the holidays.

Here is the recipe for you, it's from Ann Jackson's 'Heart of the Home'.

War Cake
Eggless, Butterless and Milkless

2 cups brown sugar (or 1 1/2 cups honey)
2 cups hot water
2 teaspoons lard (I used vegetable oil)
1 package sultana raisins
1 teaspoon salt
t teaspoon cloves
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Bring these ingredients to a boil, and continue to cook for five minutes. When cool add:

3 cups flour
1 teaspoon soda dissolved in a tiny bit of hot water

Bake 45 minutes in a slow oven, at about 300 degrees Fahrenheit. This cake tastes better the longer you keep it.

meena meena said...

ok great! haha i'd forgotten that i'd written that request to you, then divine inspration brought me back to this post! hooray!

ill try the recipe and let you know! im sure itll be wonderful.

temp agencies said...

I was distracted with these beautiful, delicious deserts. It looks so colorful and very pretty.

Condo Makati said...

Cakes are my favorite, especially chocolate cakes. Hmmm yum I love it… it looks very mouth watering.

Related Posts with Thumbnails